possibly non-free or non-GPL-compliant file? action-ebpf

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Mon May 13 00:43:32 UTC 2024

Hello, Jing Luo,

Thanks for your report.

On May  8, 2024, Jing Luo <jing at jing.rocks> wrote:

> TLDR: I don't know if you already checked this, there is a
> pre-compiled binary blob in the kernel tree.

I don't recall whether I looked into this one in the 6.8 cycle, but we
don't mind precompiled object code that is accompanied by corresponding
source code, especially when it's small enough as to be manually
verifiable like this one.

It makes a lot of sense to be extra careful after the xz trojan, but
ISTM we have corresponding sources (and so I should have marked the
source/object relationship in the cleaning-up script; will do), and our
criterion is software freedom, with minimal changes to achive it, so I
believe keeping it is the right call.

I could be convinced otherwise in case I missed any bits of relevance in
my inspection of the object file.  Please let me know if you know of any
freedom problems with it.

Thanks again,

--
Alexandre Oliva, happy hacker                    https://FSFLA.org/blogs/lxo/
   Free Software Activist                           GNU Toolchain Engineer