[FSFLA-Traductores] http://fsfeurope.org/projects/gplv3/brussels-rms-transcript

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva en fsfla.org
Mar Mayo 1 12:24:44 UTC 2007

On May  1, 2007, "Fernanda G Weiden" <fernanda en softwarelivre.org> wrote:

> 2007/5/1, Alexandre Oliva <lxoliva en fsfla.org>:
>> So I must ask: how much of your translation is actually based on what
>> Babelfish created?

> Is there a Copyright problem with Babelfish translations?

Possibly.

AFAIK, in general, mechanical translations retain the same copyright
status as the original; they're still the same work, just represented
differently.

However, there are exceptions: if the output of the mechanical
translator can be somehow construed as a derived work of the
translator itself, then you may need permission from the translator's
copyright holder before you can publish, distribute or modify the
translator output.

I haven't found anything stating clearly what the status is, neither
in the Altavista Babelfish web pages nor in the Systran web pages, so
I'm a bit concerned about simply using it.

But then, IANAL.

In any case, if we use them, we must clearly mark them such that (i)
we give credit if credit is due and, (ii) should any problem arise, we
can easily locate and remove material translated using such tools.

It would also make sense to contact the maintainers of those sites and
request clarification as to the copyright status and permission to
publish material translated with their tools.

Would anyone like to do that on behalf of FSFLA?